Windward High School is located on the corner of Smith Road and Northwest Avenue in the Ferndale School District. While our small school has had several homes in its 11 year history – some features have continued as the essentials of what Windward is all about.
We are and always have been an intentionally small high school choice in the Ferndale School District. The purpose is to provide another learning environment for our Ferndale high schoolers who may find a smaller environment where community, being known well by everyone, and opportunities for leadership and community service are experienced by every student.
Students choose Windward High School for a variety of reasons – but those who find their home here agree that they find a big community on a small campus.
In 2002 when the “idea” of Windward was born – it was the Ferndale community that said yes to offering another choice for our students.
Windward High School is housed at the North Bellingham School site. The school opened in 2004. It serves approximately 70 students in grades 9-12. The school was originally funded by a Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Grant. As of 2012, the school was accredited and issues its own diploma separate from FHS.
Mission & Vision
We are an intentionally small, choice school where learning, community, leadership, and creativity flourish.
…is to provide a small, safe learning community that challenges students through creative, personalized academic experiences including integrated curriculum, project-based activities and service learning to prepare students for college, career, relationships and civic contribution.
…encompasses the following four values:
- We are present and open to new and diverse ideas.
- We develop growth mindsets–challenging ourselves is how we learn.
- We describe our learning in terms of goals and accomplishments.
- We take advantage of learning opportunities to accomplish our goals.
- We enhance our learning skills–metacognitively learning how to learn.
- We are a small school, and a big family.
- We are a safe place to explore personal growth.
- We commit to a culture of honesty, kindness, and diversity.
- We participate in school activities, traditions, and celebrations.
- We engage with and serve our community.
- We are all leaders.
- We each take ownership of the community.
- We expect and value student voice.
- We act as advocates for ourselves and others.
- We are prepared and make meaningful contributions.
- We use our creativity to enrich the world.
- We discover and pursue our passions.
- We express learning in individual and community-building ways.
- We seek ways to build new traditions.
- We look for creative ways to address challenges.