Student School Board Member Application
Current Student School Board members Noah Semu (left) and Avneet Pannu (right)
with Superintendent Dr. Linda Quinn (center)
Attention Interested Sophomores (FHS Class of 2022)
Instructions for Submitting Applications
There are two options for submitting a student school board application. Please choose one option or the other for submitting an application.
Option 1: Complete the following Microsoft Form Application: bit.ly/FSDStudentSchoolBoardApp
Option 2: Complete a hard copy application (download here) or pick up a hard copy during meal distributions at Ferndale High School. Applications can be picked up and/or submitted at Ferndale High School during a meal distribution on Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 11 am and 1 pm until the application deadline on May 20, 2020.
Student School Board Member Responsibilities
Ferndale School Board (hereafter referred to as the Board) is seeking student candidates who want the opportunity to be involved with the Ferndale School District educational system. The role of the student School Board members is to provide a student perspective into the decision-making process at the Board level. They sit at the table at all School Board meetings, participate in discussions with other Board members, and may exercise non-binding (advisory) votes on matters brought before the Board in open session. They do not participate in executive sessions nor raise concerns about confidential matters relating to students or school personnel in open session.
The elected School Board members will select one new Student School Board Member from Ferndale High School for the 2020-2021 school year. The student they select will be a junior during the 2020-2021 school year and will be appointed for a two-year term (Fall 2020 through Spring 2022). The new member will join the existing Student School Board member, who is just finishing the first of her two-year term.
Student School Board Member Responsibilities include:
- Attend and actively participate in regular monthly School Board Business Meetings, which are usually held the last Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm.
- Attend and actively participate in School Board Study Sessions and Special Meetings, which are generally held on one other night per month according to a schedule determined by Board members.
- Read relevant documents in preparation for meetings.
- Exchange information and opinions about topics brought before the Board.
- Prepare a short report on activities at their school to be delivered as a regular agenda item at each School Board Business Meeting.
- Be willing to listen to questions and concerns from constituents outside regular Board meetings.
- Take part in a School Board orientation program. (approximately two hours).
- Participate in an eight-hour (approximately) School Board Summer Retreat (should such an event be allowable).
- Attend the annual Washington State School Directors Association (WSSDA) three-day conference in November of each year (optional) and the two-day Legislative Conference in Olympia each winter (optional).
Desired Qualifications for Student School Board Members
Desired qualifications include:
- Be a high school student in the Ferndale School District who attends at least three (3) periods per day on the Ferndale High School campus during the entire School Board term.
- Be in the 11th grade during the 2020-2021 school year.
- Possess effective communication skills.
- Promote a teamwork environment.
- Maintain academic standing equivalent to that required for participation in athletics or other student activities and maintain such academic standing throughout the term of office.
- Maintain personal standards of behavior appropriate for participation in student activities.
- Be willing to convey student opinion to the Board and to report Board deliberations and actions back to the high school student body.
Application Process for Student School Board Members
- Interested students should either (1) complete a Student School Board Member application form online via the Microsoft Form link sent by email on Monday, May 11 from Principal Jeremy Vincent or (2) complete a hard copy application that is available for download on the district website and is also available during meal distributions (Monday, Wednesday, Friday between 11 am and 1 pm) at Ferndale High School.
- When the application is completed, the student should submit it to the high school principal or his/her designee.
- The high school principal will forward all completed applications to the Superintendent.
- The Superintendent will share applications with members of the School Board, who will then schedule interviews with the candidates (probably via Zoom this year).
- The School Board will make the final selection of the one candidate who will serve during the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 school years.
Timeline for Selection of Student School Board Members
Monday, May 11, 2020 – Wednesday, May 20, 2020
Candidate Application Packets will be available from the high school principal (sent via email on Monday, May 11), available for download on the district website and available at FHS meal distributions.
Wednesday, May 20, 2020
Completed application packets must be submitted to the high school principal by 3:00 pm, either via Microsoft Form application or hard copy.
Friday, May 22, 2020
All candidates who meet the qualifications listed above will be notified about a time for an interview with the School Board.
(TO BE DETERMINED)
School Board members will hold a Special Meeting (specific date and time yet to be determined) for the purpose of interviewing finalists and selecting one to serve on the Board for the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 school years. School Board members will announce their selections at the meeting.
Tuesday June 30, 2020
The new Student School Board member will be sworn in at the regularly scheduled June School Board Business Meeting: 7:00 pm in the Ferndale High School library.