Attention Interested Sophomores
Ferndale School Board (hereafter referred to as the Board) is seeking student candidates who want the opportunity to be involved with the Ferndale School District educational system. The role of Student School Board Members is to provide a student perspective into the decision-making process at the Board level. They sit at the table at all School Board meetings, participate in discussions with other Board Members, and may exercise non-binding (advisory) votes on matters brought before the Board in open session. They do not participate in executive sessions nor raise concerns about confidential matters relating to students or school personnel in open session.
The elected School Board members will select one new Student School Board Member from Ferndale High School for the 2021-2022 school year. The student they select will be a junior during the 2021-2022 school year and will be appointed for a two-year term (May 2021 through May 2023). The new member will join the existing Student School Board Member, Cuong Nguyen, who is just finishing the first of his two-year term.
Student School Board Member Responsibilities include:
- Attend and actively participate in regular monthly School Board Business Meetings, which are usually held the last Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm.
- Attend and actively participate in School Board Study Sessions and Special Meetings, which are generally held on one other night per month according to a schedule determined by Board members.
- Read relevant documents in preparation for meetings.
- Exchange information and opinions about topics brought before the Board.
- Prepare a short report on activities at their school to be delivered as a regular agenda item at each School Board Business Meeting.
- Be willing to listen to questions and concerns from constituents outside regular Board meetings.
- Take part in a School Board orientation program. (approximately two hours).
- Participate in an eight-hour (approximately) School Board Summer Retreat (should such an event be allowable).
- Attend the annual Washington State School Directors Association (WSSDA) three-day conference in November of each year (optional) and the two-day Legislative Conference in Olympia each winter (optional).
Desired Qualifications for Student School Board Members
- Desired qualifications include:
- Be a high school student in the Ferndale School District who attends at least three (3) periods per day on the Ferndale High School campus during the entire School Board term.
- Be in the 11th grade during the 2021-2022 school year.
- Possess effective communication skills.
- Promote a teamwork environment.
- Maintain academic standing equivalent to that required for participation in athletics or other student activities and maintain such academic standing throughout the term of office.
- Maintain personal standards of behavior appropriate for participation in student activities.
- Be willing to convey student opinions to the Board and to report Board deliberations and actions back to the high school student body.
Timeline for Selection of Student School Board Members
Wednesday, April 21, 2021 – Wednesday, May 5, 2021
Candidate Application Packets will be available from the high school principal and on the district website.
Wednesday, May 5, 2021
Completed application packets must be submitted to the high school principal by 3:00 pm, either in hard copy or via email.
Friday, May 7, 2021
All candidates who meet the qualifications listed above will be notified about a time for an interview with the School Board.
Tuesday, May 11, 2021
School Board members will interview candidates and select one to serve on the Board for the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 school years. School Board members will announce their selections at the meeting.
Tuesday, May 25, 2021
The new Student School Board member will be sworn in at the regularly scheduled May School Board Business Meeting at 7:00 pm
For More Information
School Board President Andrew McLaurin, email@example.com
Superintendent Dr. Linda Quinn, 360.383.9207, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ferndale High School Principal Jeremy Vincent, 360.383.9243, email@example.com