Ferndale School Board (hereafter referred to as the Board) is seeking student candidates who want the opportunity to be involved with the Ferndale School District educational system. The role of the student School Board members is to provide a student perspective into the decision-making process at the Board level. They sit at the table at all School Board meetings, participate in discussions with other Board members, and may exercise non-binding (advisory) votes on matters brought before the Board in open session. They do not participate in executive sessions nor raise concerns about confidential matters relating to students or school personnel in open session.
The elected School Board members will select one student School Board Member from Ferndale High School for the 2019-2020 school year. The student they select will be a junior during the 2019-2020 school year and will be appointed for a two-year term (Fall 2019 through Spring 2021).
Applications will be available in high school offices beginning Monday, April 15. Completed applications are due to the high school building principal no later than Friday, May 3, 2019 at 3:00 pm.
View and download the full application here. The application is also embedded at the bottom of this page.
Student School Board Member Responsibilities include:
- Attend and actively participate in regular monthly School Board Business Meetings, which are usually held the last Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm.
- Attend and actively participate in School Board Study Sessions and Special Meetings, which are held on one other night per month according to a schedule determined by Board members.
- Read relevant documents in preparation for meetings.
- Exchange information and opinions about topics brought before the Board.
- Prepare a short report on activities at their school to be delivered as a regular agenda item at each School Board Business Meeting.
- Be willing to listen to questions and concerns from constituents outside regular Board meetings.
- Take part in a School Board orientation program (approximately two hours).
- Participate in an eight-hour (approximately) School Board Retreat during the summer of 2019.
- Attend the annual Washington State School Directors Association (WSSDA) three-day conference in November of each year (optional) and the two-day Legislative Conference in Olympia each winter (optional).
Desired Qualifications for Student School Board Member
Desired qualifications include:
- Be a high school student in the Ferndale School District who attends at least three (3) periods per day on the Ferndale High School campus.
- Be in the 11th grade during the 2019-2020 school year.
- Possess effective communication skills.
- Promote a teamwork environment.
- Maintain academic standing equivalent to that required for participation in athletics or other student activities and maintain such academic standing throughout his/her term of office.
- Maintain personal standards of behavior appropriate for participation in student activities.
- Be willing to convey student opinion to the Board and to report Board deliberations and actions back to his/her school’s student body.
Application Process for Student School Board Members
- Interested students should get a Student School Board Member application form in the main office of his/her high school or from the district website and fill it out. Each student’s parent(s) or guardian(s) must indicate their approval by signing the application. Likewise, the high school principal must sign.
- When the application is completed, the student should submit it to the high school principal or his/her designee.
- The high school principal will forward all completed applications to the Superintendent.
- In the event that more than six students submit applications, initial screening interviews may be conducted by a committee made up of one or more Board members, one or more students, the Superintendent and/or member(s) of the Executive Team.
- Based on the applications and screening interviews, the committee will recommend Student School Board Member finalists to be interviewed by the Board as a whole.
- If there are six or fewer applicants, no screening interviews will be held. All applicants will be advanced to the School Board interviews.
- The School Board will make the final selection of the one candidate who will serve during the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 school years.
Timeline for Selection of Student School Board Members
Monday, April 15, 2019 – Friday, May 3, 2019
Public service announcements will be made via staff email, student email, Skyward and the “All Call” system. Candidate Application Packets will be available in the main office of Ferndale High School and also on the district website.
Friday, May 3, 2019
Completed application packets are due to the high school principal by 3:00 pm, either in hard copy or via email.
Monday, May 6, 2019 – Friday, May 10, 2019
Candidate applications will be reviewed. If more than six applications are received, screening interviews may be scheduled and conducted to determine which candidates will be moved on to a final interview with the School Board. All applicants who meet the basic requirements listed above will be granted a screening interview.
Friday, May 10, 2019
Each applicant will be notified whether he/she is being moved forward as a finalist.
Tuesday, May 14, 2019
School Board members will hold a Study Session (specific time yet to be determined) for the purpose of interviewing finalists and selecting one to serve on the Board for the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 school years. School Board members will announce their selections at the meeting.
Tuesday May 28, 2019
The new Student School Board member will be sworn in at the regularly scheduled May School Board Business Meeting: 7:00 pm in the Ferndale High School library.
For More Information
School Board President Dr. Kevin Erickson, 360.380.1644, email@example.com
Superintendent Dr. Linda Quinn, 360.383.9207, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ferndale High School Principal Jeremy Vincent, 360.383.9243, email@example.com