Ferndale School Board is seeking student candidates who want the opportunity to be involved with the Ferndale School District educational system. The role of the student school board members will be to provide a student perspective into the decision-making process at the Board level. They will sit at the board table at all school board meetings, participate in discussions with other school board members, and exercise non-binding (advisory) votes on matters brought before the Board in open session.
The elected School Board members will select two student School Board Members from Ferndale High School for the 2018-2019 school year. Their preference will be to select one junior and one senior, encouraging the selected junior to remain in the position for a two-year term thereby ensuring greater continuity and more opportunities for mentorship.
Applications will be available in high school offices beginning Monday, April 16. Completed applications are due to the high school building principal no later than Friday, May 4, 2018 at 3:00PM.
Student School Board Member Responsibilities include:
• Attend and actively participate in regular monthly School Board Business Meetings, which are usually held the last Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm.
• Attend and actively participate in School Board Study Sessions, which are held on one other night per month according to a schedule determined by Board members.
• Read relevant documents in preparation for meetings.
• Exchange information and opinions about topics brought before the Board.
• Prepare a short report on activities at their school to be delivered as a regular agenda item at each School Board Business Meeting.
• Be willing to listen to questions and concerns from constituents outside regular Board meetings.
• Take part in a School Board orientation program. (approximately two hours).
• Participate in an eight-hour (approximately) School Board Retreat during the summer of 2018.
Desired Qualifications for Student School Board Member
• Be a high school student in the Ferndale School District who attends at least three (3) periods per day on the Ferndale High School campus.
• Be in the 11th or 12th grade.
• Possess effective communication skills.
• Promote a teamwork environment.
• Maintain proper academic standing equivalent for participation in athletics or other student activities and maintain proper academic standing throughout his/her term of office.
• Maintain personal standards of behavior appropriate to participation in student activities.
• Be willing to convey student opinion to the Board and to report Board deliberations and actions back to his/her school’s student body.
Application Process for Student School Board Members
• Interested students should get a Student School Board Member application form in the main office of his/her high school or from the district website and fill it out. Each student’s parent(s) or guardian(s) must indicate their approval by signing the application. Likewise, the high school principal must sign.
• When the application is completed, the student should submit it to the high school principal or his/her designee.
• The high school principal will forward all completed applications to the superintendent.
• In the event that more than six students submit applicantions, initial screening interviews will be conducted by a committee made up of one or more Board members, one or more students, the superintendent and/or member(s) of the Executive Team.
• Based on the applications and screening interviews, the committee will recommend Student School Board Member finalists to be interviewed by the Board as a whole.
• If there are six or fewer applicants, no screening interviews will be held. All applicants will be advanced to the School Board interviews.
• The School Board will select the two candidates who will serve during the 2018-2019 school year.
Timeline for Selection of Student School Board Members
Monday, April 16, 2018 – Friday, May 4, 2018
Public service announcements will be made via staff email, student email, Skyward and the “All Call” system. Candidate Application Packets will be available in the main offices of both high schools and also on the district website.
Friday, May 4, 2018
Completed application packets are due to the high school principal(s) by 3:00 pm, either in hard copy or via email.
Monday, May 7, 2018 – Friday, May 11, 2018
Candidate applications will be reviewed. If more than six applications are received, screening interviews will be scheduled and conducted to determine which candidates will be moved on to a final interview with the School Board. All applicants who meet the basic requirements listed above will be granted a screening interview.
Friday, May 11, 2018
Each applicant will be notified whether he/she is being moved forward as a finalist.
Monday, May 14, 2018 – Friday, May 25, 2018
School Board members will hold a Study Session (specific date and time yet to be determined) for the purpose of interviewing finalists and selecting two to serve on the Board for the 2018-2019 school year. School Board members will announce their selections at the meeting.
Tuesday May 29, 2018
Students will be sworn in at the regularly scheduled May School Board Business Meeting.
This information and the application are also available as PDF by selecting this link School Board Student Application
For more information:
School Board President Dr. Kevin Erickson, 360.380.1644, email@example.com
Superintendent Dr. Linda Quinn, 360.383.9207, firstname.lastname@example.org
Windward High School Principal Kim Hawes, 360.383.9289, email@example.com
Ferndale High School Principal Jeremy Vincent, 360.383.9243, firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Communications Tammy Bengen, 360.383.9207, email@example.com