Class of 2020 Graduation Information
Information about Ferndale High School graduation events
The information outlined on this page is from letters sent to families of 12th graders via Skyward.
This page will be updated with more information as it comes. Please reach-out with any questions or for more information, please call the Ferndale High School Main Office at 360-383-9240.
Page updated June 2, 2020
Get to 30!
The plan for all FHS graduates is to earn 30 credits and we will continue with that requirement for the remainder of the school year.
*Please check Skyward to see how many credits you currently have and how many you’re on track to acquire this semester. Please contact your counselor if you have any questions or concerns.
Grading is at the forefront of our mind right now and we are hoping to get more clarity and guidance from the state in the next few days before we commit to a grading plan. For now, you should plan to do the high quality of work you are capable of as you complete work in your classes.
Graduation will be a produced digital ceremony featuring filmed speeches, presentations, and graduates walking across the stage with their diploma.
Originally we hoped to release the link for the ceremony on June 13th, but after meeting with the production company, Life N’ Light, they are not able to film the ceremony until June 13th. Not to worry, we will work to livestream the entire filming of the ceremony on the 13th, and the final production will be ready for release on June 20th. We apologize for this change.
The produced digital ceremony was option #4 from the survey sent out to families, which received almost 50% of the votes.
Please view the following letter from Principal Vincent sent to families for details regarding graduation guidelines and expectation on June 13th:
Hello FHS Seniors and Families,
Below are the guidelines and expectations for the filming of our graduation ceremony on June 13th. Please closely review the information so that we can ensure and safe, healthy, and productive event.
FHS – Principal
- Arrive at your designated time (alphabetical by last name)
- A-C 10:15-11:00
- D-G 11:00-11:30
- H-L 11:30-12:00
- M-O 12:00-12:30
- P-R 12:30-1:00
- S-V 1:30 - 1:30
- W-Z 1:30 - 2:00
- See map (attached in email, linked on website accordion) on where to enter and how traffic will flow to the staging area
- Graduates and families must remain in the vehicle at all times. The graduate, when instructed, will exit the vehicle when they arrive to the staging area.
- Families will be in close proximity to the stage and will be able to take photographs from their vehicle.
- Graduates, wear your cap and gown
- Bring the name card included in this letter
- One car per family. We ask that the graduate sit in the passenger seat in order to easily exit the vehicle.
- I know that this is difficult for some families for various reasons, but in order to make this format successful we need to follow this guideline.
- We will be filming graduates walking across the stage and recording the saying of their name. Because this is being recorded, we need the waiting line and staging area to remain silent, especially the staging area. Background noise might cancel out the reading of a graduate’s name.
- The final production will not be available until June 20th, time TBD.
- We will work to livestream the entire recording of graduation on June 13th.
- 9am-10am: Recording of speeches and music
- 10:30a-2p: Recording of graduates walking across stage
- Graduates and Families will enter on the driveway north of the tennis courts into the Sr. Lot. There will be someone directing traffic; vehicles will zigzag through the senior lot.
- Staging area will be between the tennis courts and the PAC. The stage will be in front of the FHS Logo on the west side of the PAC.
- We will ask graduates, five at a time, to exit the vehicle when they arrive at the staging area.
- FHS staff will be on the sidewalk between the cafeteria and the Jr. Lot as graduates and families exit the campus in their vehicle.
- We will have multiple people helping with the logistics and flow of this event as graduates and families arrive.
Washington Department of Health Guidelines:
- All efforts must be made to ensure physical distancing of six feet or more and avoid congregating among students.
- Students should wear a cloth face covering while outside of their vehicle. Students may remove their cloth face coverings immediately before walking across the stage. They should put their face covering back on as soon as they complete their individualized ceremony.
- High risk populations should stay home.
- People who have COVID-19 or who are in close contact with someone who has COVID19, must remain at home in isolation or quarantine.
- People must stay home if they feel sick.
- Each vehicle may contain only members from a single household who are not sick (no comingling of families or friends within a vehicle).
- There may be no person-to-person contact during any ceremony. Individuals may not hand students diplomas, or any other items, or shake graduates’ hands.
Senior parents are working on a Grad Night/Prom event, TBD
Scholarship & Awards Night:
This will be a digital presentation sent out to our entire school community to view. Students being recognized will be contacted by Mrs. Zink.
We will hold the Senior Scholarship & Awards night June 3rd at 6:30pm through Zoom. Presenters and participants will be sent a Zoom invite.
This year’s Grad Walk will be scheduled for the last day of school before Winter Break of the 2020-2021 school year. It’s our hope that many of our class of 2020 students will be home on this date.
Stadium Lights Drive-Through:
June 12th is the last day of school for seniors. As a way to honor our Class of 2020, we plan to organize a Stadium Lights drive through event at our Ferndale High School stadium. The event will include an opportunity to turn on the lights and make some noise for our seniors at exactly 8:20 PM that evening. We will get the word out to our community and will encourage everyone to step outside and add their voice to (what we hope) will be a loud roar heard throughout our school district! We will send out a more detailed plan as we get closer to the event.
We will have a yearbook! More info coming.