If your family lives in any of the following situations:
A shelter, motel, campground, a car, park, abandoned building, bus or train station, or doubled up
Your school-age children may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.
Your eligible children have the right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
- Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference and is feasible.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children’s needs.
If you or someone you know is homeless, contact Ferndale School District Homeless Liaison Kim Bunch 360-383-9432
For further information on eligibility and disputes contact: