Food Service is a self-supporting, customer driven department that provides nutritious food in a cost effective manner building healthy minds and bodies ready to learn.
Research has shown that there is an important, positive relationship between good nutrition and health, behavior and student learning. The Ferndale School District participates in the National School Lunch Program, the School Breakfast Program and the USDA Food Distribution Program. United States Department of Agriculture regulations guide our program. The menus meet the USDA specifications based on the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Healthy Americans.
A new application must be filled out each year.
- Regardless of whether or not you qualified last year, you must complete a new application by October every year.
- If your family qualified for free or reduced price meals last year, your children may eat via last year’s determination only until the new application is processed or October if no application is filed.
- If you did not participate in a free or reduced category last year meals must be paid for at the full price until you receive a determination letter.
- All applications are processed within ten (10) working days after they are received in the food service office. Students receiving free or reduced price meals are not treated differently or singled out from those paying full price.
If you have, any questions call the Food Services Department at 360-383-9340. You will be responsible for all charges that are incurred by your child.
If the child you are applying for is either homeless/runaway or migrant, make sure to check the appropriate boxes on your application and call the number listed below; these are the liaison offices for the school district.
- MIGRANT – Call 1-800-274-6084
- HOMELESS/RUNAWAY – Call 360-383-9432
It is a USDA guideline that information on your application is maintained in strict confidence. As a result we cannot release information on the eligibility of your student(s) unless you give us permission. Please check the boxes on page two of the application and SIGN where indicated.
- School fees: This includes athletic participation and drivers education
- College Bound: Scholarship information and application fees when
- Boys & Girls Club and the Whatcom Museum
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, it’s Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877- 8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other them English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: https://www.ascr.usda.gov/filing-program-discrimination-complaint-usda-customer and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of theAssistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; fm: (202) 690- 7442; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
To inquire about your student(s) meal accounts please send email to: email@example.com
For a copy of the district's Nutrition and Physical Fitness Policy, please call 360.383.9213.