Public Records Requests
In accordance with the provisions of RCW Chapter 42.56 and Administrative Policy No. 4040, Ferndale School District makes available public record documents during the hours of 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, (excluding district and legal holidays set forth on the district calendar).
By adoption of School Board Resolution No. 6-2019, Ferndale School District finds that maintaining an index is unduly burdensome and would interfere with school district operations due to the complexity of the amount of records maintained by the district. The district maintains its records in a reasonably organized manner. The district takes reasonable actions to protect records from damage and disorganization.
Making a Public Records Request
All Public Records requests must be directed to the Public Records Officer. The Public Records Officer may be contacted in person at the District's Administration Office, by first class United States Postal Service mail or by email as noted below:
In Person and By Mail
Dr. Linda Quinn, Superintendent
Ferndale School District
6041 Vista Drive
P.O. Box 698
Ferndale, WA 98248
Any person or entity making a request shall provide the following information:
- Name of requestor
- Mailing address of the requestor
- Other contact information including telephone number and e-mail address
- Identification of the public records adequate for the Public Records Officer or designee
- to locate the records; and
- Date of the request
The District recommends using its Public Records Request Form (download PDF here) when submitting a request for records.
The district will not receive requests via voicemail, social media or facsimile.
Frequently Requested Public Records
Some Public Records may be accessed through the district website without the necessity of a Public Records Request. The following frequently requested records are available online:
- District Policies (via BoardDocs.com)
- School Board Meeting Notices, Agendas, Minutes (2008-current) (via BoardDocs.com)
- District Strategic Plan
- District Budget
- Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) Washington State Report Card
Policies, Procedures, and Exemptions
Information about the Disclosure of Public Records Policy and Procedure is available in:
Administrative Policy F 4040 Public Access to District Records
Administrative Procedures F 4040P Public Access to District Records
Public Records Act Exemptions
Certain information is exempt from disclosure by law. A list of the most common potentially exempt records is provided below. This list is not intended to be exhaustive. Pursuant to RCW 42.56.070(2), “An agency’s failure to list an exemption shall not affect the efficacy of any exemption.”
Click here to view a list of other statute exemptions outside of RCW 42.56.
Fees Associated with Records Requests
As of June 25, 2019, the District has adopted the statutory Fee Schedule for public records requests and may charge as follows:
- In-person review of documents - No cost
- Photocopies of public records - $0.15/page
- Electronic copies of records that exist in hard copy only - $0.10/page
- Electronic documents - $0.05 per every four electronic files or attachments
- uploaded to email, cloud-based data storage service, or other means of electronic delivery
- Transmission of public records in an electronic format - $0.10 per every 1 GB
- Postage and media - Actual costs incurred by the District
- Customized services - Actual costs, in addition to fees for copies specified above
For further information on charges, please see Administrative Procedures F 4040P Public Access to District Records.
Special Education Records (IEP/504)
To obtain student-specific special education records please contact the Special Services Department. Please make special education records requests via telephone at 360.383.9212 or email to email@example.com.
If you are a former student requesting your transcript, diploma, graduation verification, or academic history, please do so on the Student Records Request site located https://www.ferndalesd.org/teaching-learning/student-transcripts.